11.26.2005

Are You Thankful?

Thanksgiving is probably the most celebrated holiday in the US besides Christmas. We say we’re thankful for all we have but the next day we’re out buying an Xbox 360 or a new lazy-boy for the den. Its funny but its sad. Why does the thankful feeling only last a few hours on the fourth Thursday of November? Why can’t we be thankful for all God’s given us on April 15 or December 25? The original Thanksgiving was a three day feast/prayer meeting. The pilgrims were truly gracious to the Lord for sustaining them through their first year in the New World. I am thankful for salvation first and foremost. Being delivered from the gaping mouth of Hell, an eternity of smoldering punishment, is the greatest gift I could have ever received. Who wouldn’t be thankful for that? God died so I could escape Hell and I won’t be the least bit thankful? I don’t think so! I am going to spend the rest of my life, on this earth and beyond, praising and glorifying Him. Not just November 24. Not just the holiday seasons. My WHOLE life. I suggest you do the same. I am also thankful for the little things in life that I so often take for granted. A hairbrush, toothbrush, deodorant, electricity, football, razors, Duct tape, etc. there’s too many to name here. I love living in this country, being free to say write and worship whoever, whenever, however. I am thankful for parents and siblings. I am thankful for school, however boring it may be. There’s so much to be thankful for. This thanksgiving season has left an impact on me. How about you?

1 comment:

The Resident Writer said...

Whoever you are, we have the same mind. Before the Thanksgiving feast, I was thanking God that as Christians know, we must be thankful everyday for the essential Christ. How sad that others think there is only one day that is worth being thankful for and in. Thankfulness is the essential and central virtue of the Christian: They neither acknowledged God nor GAVE THANKS. That will separate the wheat from the chaff.
I apologize again if I know you and have told you this in person.